A brand new production of the Olivier Award-winning comedy that went on to become a BAFTA-winning film sensation,
East is East opens in Newcastle on the 18 April - 13 May 2017.
Although the play is set in the 1970s, director Suba Das plans to reimagine the play for the 21st Century. Audiences will recognise the living room and chip shop they know and love from the film, but with a fresh theatrical spin as we imagine what it’s like to see the world of 1970s Salford through the eyes of the Khan family’s youngest son, the parka-wearing Sajit.
Director Suba Das, says: “East is East is one of the most loved British comedies of our times, telling a hilarious and heart-breaking story of what it means to live and love across two different worlds and cultures. It was a huge part of my childhood and it’s an honour to lead the production that marks the 20
anniversary of this Olivier and BAFTA winning story.
“While the story feels more timely than ever, it’s so exciting to be reimagining the play for the 21st Century and we’ve assembled a stunning cast of British talent to play the Khans, with National Theatre, Royal Shakespeare Company and West End credits amongst them; The ensemble cast is led by Kammy Darweish as patriarch George Khan and Vicky Entwistle as his long suffering wife Ella.
Loved by so many for her iconic role as Janice Battersby in Coronation Street, Vicky brings all of the gutsiness and grit of the quintessential Manchester matriarch to the production.
Kammy Darweish has performed with prestigious companies including the National Theatre, Bristol Old Vic, the Royal Shakespeare Company and Shakespeare's Globe, and has toured in the UK, USA, Middle East and Far East. Kammy has also made numerous TV and film appearances including Skyfall, Eastenders, Spooks and 55 Degrees North."
- Judy Flynn plays Auntie Annie. Fondly remembered by many as Julie in BBC sitcom the Brittas Empire, Judy has appeared on screen in dozens of TV comedies and dramas, as well as on stage at some of the UK’s biggest theatres including the National Theatre.
- Best known for playing the long running role of Dr. Kevin Tyler in the BBC daytime soap Doctors, Simon Rivers will play Abdul Khan.
- Omar Malik plays Tariq Khan. Omar has appeared all over the UK on stage and has worked with the likes of BBC, ITV and HBO. He is known for roles as Fayed in the thriller Billionaire Ransom (2016) and Naz in Coronation Street.
- Saleem Khan is played by Raj Bajaj who has worked with both the RSC and the Royal Court, and most recently appeared in Olivier Award-nominated musical, Bend it Like Beckham in the West End.
- Member of 'Sheep Soup', one of Curve Leicester's Breakthrough theatre companies, Sabrina Sandhu plays Meenah Khan.
- Viraj Juneja who played the lead role in last year’s critically acclaimed Haram Iran at Above the Stag Theatre in London plays Sajit Khan.
- Deven Modha plays Maneer Khan, most recently seen on stage in Sir Trevor Nunn’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.